Our accolades in 2018
- Shortly after year-end, Sappi Limited received the honour of second place in the Sunday Times Top 100 Companies awards.
- At the GAPP Print Quality Awards, our 2017 Sappi Annual Integrated Report won the gold award in the Litho Sheetfed – Annual Reports category, while the 2017 Sappi Southern Africa Sustainability Report won the silver award in the same category.
- The Chief Executive Officer of Sappi Europe, Berry Wiersum, was recognised by Pulp and Paper International (PPI) as International CEO of the Year.
- The American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA) honoured Cloquet Mill with the 2017 AF&PA Leadership in Sustainability Award for Safety for their Over Two Million Hours Worked Without Lost Time Injury project.
- Named a 2018 recipient of the prestigious Governor’s Award for Business Excellence for outstanding commitment to employees, community, customers and manufacturing in the state of Maine. This award is in recognition of significant investments at the Somerset Mill, to modernise the woodyard and to rebuild PM1 to make new consumer packaging grades.
The Governor of Maine recognised Sappi North America for its significant US$200+ million investment at the Somerset Mill in Skowhegan, Maine to rebuild its Paper Machine No 1 to enable the production of new consumer packaging grades as well as for the modernisation and improvement to its woodyard, powering Sappi and the local Maine economy.
- Sappi Forests’ Stop and Think Before You Act safety initiative won a coveted Gold Quill Award of Excellence for Safety Communication Management from the International Association of Business Communications (IABC). In addition, the work was also selected as one of eight Best of the Best entries from 258 awarded entries. In total, 699 entries from 27 countries were judged.
- Ngodwana Mill received the Kruger Lowveld Chamber of Business and Tourism’s Annual Environmental Award.
- The Absa Business Day Supplier Development Awards celebrate companies in South Africa who have made a remarkable contribution to successful supplier development. Sappi Forests won the Women’s Empowerment Award and Rural Economies Award and was also recognised as an overall finalist as well as a finalist in the Innovation category. The awards were based on Sappi’s contribution to supplier development in South Africa through Sappi Khulisa.