Key relationships – Customers
We adopt a partnership approach, whereby we develop long-term relationships with global, regional and local customers. We also accommodate more transactional customers. Where relevant, we will conduct R&D and develop products to suit customers’ specific needs.
In addition to the usual avenues of engagement, we engage through initiatives like the Sappi Football Cup, now in its eighth year (SEU), Printer of the Year (SNA) and by sponsoring the Citrus Research Symposium (SSA).
- New or enhanced products that meet rapidly changing market demand.
- Support in terms of paper, packaging, dissolving wood pulp (DWP) and sustainability goals.
- Information and campaigns to promote print as a communication medium and encourage the use of packaging.
- Information about the fibre sourcing and production processes behind our brands.
- Provision of technical information.
In 2018 we branded our DWP range as Verve and also launched other new products:Seal: A packaging paper with integrated sealing functionality
- Spectro C1S and Proto Litho C1S: New packaging grades
- Fusion Uncoated: A white topliner
- Fashion White and Fashion White OF: For shopping bags, and
- Atelier: A premium folding boxboard.
We also established Sappi Digital Solutions, focused on the dye sublimation papers market.
- In terms of DWP, Technical Centres of Excellence are located at Saiccor and Cloquet Mills.
- Customers can make use of the Competence Centre for Speciality Papers and Paper Laboratory at Alfeld Mill.
- In SNA, the Sustainability Customer Council provides candid feedback, identifies emerging issues and helps to establish goals.
- In 2018, SNA launched:
- True or False: An informative guide about coated and uncoated paper myths and facts, and
- The Five Second Rule: A promotional resource focused on direct mail.
Information and campaigns
- We showcased our brands at Fach Pack (where we launched Atelier); LUXE PACK MONACO, SGIA, FESPA Berlin, HOW Design Live.
- Globally we continue to participate in industry initiatives like TwoSides.
Information about fibre sourcing and production processes
- At the request of our customers, we participate in EcoVadis and Sedex.
- In SEU and SSA, we publish Paper Profiles and information sheets for our papers.
- In SNA, we use GreenBlue’s Environmental Performance Assessment Tool (EPAT) which enables buyers to evaluate our performance on a mill-by-mill basis.
- A series of technical brochures is available on our website www.sappi.com.
In addition, there are specific initiatives in each region:
- The Sappi Houston online knowledge platform.
Sappi North America
- The newly launched POP site (www.sappipops.com) is aimed at marketers, creatives, designers and printers looking to innovate in their categories.
- Sappi etc (www.sappi.com/sappietc) is an educational platform for designers and printers.
Sappi Southern Africa
- Our paper and paper pulp product offerings are supported by strong technical teams at each mill and the Sappi Technology Centre in Pretoria.