Key relationships – Government and regulatory bodies
We engage with government departments and regulatory bodies to provide input into issues and regulations that affect our industry. We also engage with regional and local governments and local authorities to obtain support for our operations and show how our activities contribute to local economic and social development.
- Energy issues in general and in particular government moves on carbon taxation.
- The impact of increased regulations on business.
- The social and economic benefits of our industry nationally as well as at a local level.
- Increased investment.
- Consultations take place on an ongoing basis with government departments and regulatory bodies in each region. In Europe we also regularly engage with the European Commission.
- We undertake briefings to legislators.
- We support specific government initiatives, including in South Africa the renewable energy push—our biomass project at Ngodwana Mill achieved financial close (see Key material issues – Bio-energy) and our group CEO participated in and made commitments at the investment conference hosted by the South African President.